Configuring samba server in Mac OS X Leopard

If you don’t have Mac OS X Leopard server you have a Samba implementation limited mostly to home directories and a lot of borking around, if you’re a typical Unix Admin as I am you’ll want to take things in your hands and add the shares you want yourself in the command line.

Leopard uses Samba 3 and its own authentication and locking methods connected to its auth layer and afp locking so a typical samba config file won’t work, it also has a dynamically modificable part which is configured via System Preferences.

This is not the smartest method neither prepared for faint hearted people, but it’ll work if you’re used to Linux.

If you had samba already working on Tiger the changes are only at locking, vfs and user auth, which is what enables all the new Leopard system to work properly.

This are the exact changes from Tiger to Leopard

You want to take a look at the realm SHA1 strings since they’re dependant on your installation, you can always check the new /etc/smb.conf in Mac OS X Leopard and then merge it up with your previous config, or replace the config as I did and just add this.

The Leopard samba configuration is brilliant, but at the same time limited to push you to buy the Server version, at the same time it’s interesting to play with the includes it adds too, but this at least will get your previous samba config out and running fine.

SpamAssassin : Tweaks for new Spam methods

There have been lately a huge increase in spam due mainly to botnets, spammers also have shifted their spam methods, using embedded images and obfuscating techniques to avoid OCRs.

This two factors together mean that I’ve got a lot more work maintaining my spamassassin installation :) and also that the standard config or some deviations on the scoring is not good enough, even with score tweaking I still got lots of Stocks and embedded gif spam, after some checking around I found some solutions in Rules Emporium. Also updating is a must so try always to keep up to date, right now I’m running Spam Assassin 3.1.7.
Finally after some tweaking and more tweaking I arrived to this config:

  • Auto White-list and Bayes using MySQL DB Engine
  • user_pref integrated into our user control panel
  • Razor2 integration
  • SPF Integration
  • Score tweaking
  • New rules added using Rules Emporium ImageInfo and Stock Rules

With this method the false positives have gone down and the stock and image spam is being stopped (finally!).

The Rules Emporium ImageInfo plugin consumes a lot less CPU than using an OCR plug-in and even if it’s based on broader rules it catches even the hardest embedded image spam, you can get the plugin here. Also the stock ruleset got rid of most of the stock spam that I was receiving, this spam is quite hard to guess indeed! You can get the ruleset here.
Here is the final tweaked local.cf config in SpamAssassin

Also it’s important to have this modules loaded in your v310.pre file:

The way to install the additional config and plugins should be as follows:

Copy the new .cf (configuration) files into the directory where SpamAssassin keeps the configuration in your install. In Red Hat machines this directory is /usr/share/spamassassin.

Copy the new .pm (modules) into the SpamAssassin PlugIn module which is by default /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/ (this directory of course, is for Perl version 5.8.3, change the version to the one you have installed).

Don’t forget to restart SpamAssassin after adding the new files!

It’s always a good idea to start spamd with -D after activating modules, since most of the times you’re missing a perl module which one of your modules have a dependency with.

This configuration is not really CPU hungry so it’s great for people who are running on a tight server budget.